Thursday, May 9, 2013

It's Been a Whirlwind!

It's been a whirlwind of a week.  I "retired" a week ago.  We haven't stopped since.  We signed a lease on the house April 30.  Woohoo--that was a big day! 



We had a reservation to move the Gypsy Turtle out to the Mesa Verde RV Park in Wolfforth on May 1 so we could run the slides out and pack it up.  The day before, we decided to give her a good bath and shine her up.  It was Max's first time to wash the roof.  What an experience THAT was.  It's a rubberized roof and pretty slick under normal circumstances.  Add Spic and Span and water and you have the makin's for some real excitement.





And then God decided to add an additional little twist...



Rain, sandstorm, winds 25-40 mph.  Poor Gypsy Turtle--she was turning brown again as fast as we could wash her off.  God is having so much fun with us...and the fun has only just begun!  Nevertheless, we got it done, she spent the last night at the storage place, and then Wednesday morning we moved her out to Mesa Verde. 

Since then we've actually spent very little time out there.  The majority of our time has been spent at the house packing up, sorting, throwing away, giving away and selling "stuff".  (Like the refrigerator last Saturday.  We were glad to get a buyer but boy have we missed it!).  But make do we have done.  

The house is a total wreck, but the biggest part is finished.  Those who know me will not be surprised to read that packing my books, my clothes and my kitchen have been the hardest days for me.  Books and clothes--it was all about making decisions.  Kitchen--yes, the decisions were a little hard to make, but packing away those dishes from Mom and Grandmas Richmon and Thomas also meant a lot of memories, and that day brought a few tears.  Arghhhhh--they told me there would be days like that, and they were right.  But...I shall take the memories with me.  And some day we'll have a new home for all those treasures.  All will be good.  There are many people who embark on this "full-timing" thing and get rid of everything they own that won't fit in their trailer.  That kind of deal is just not for me.  I'm too married to all those memories!  :)

We've had a few moments of, "Are you keeping that?" but not too many.  Mostly it's Max asking me.  He doesn't seem to be too attached to much.  (Except me.  I hope.  :))  After about the fifth time he asks that same question about something, I begin to realize he's not just forgetful, but rather he really, really wishes I would say no.  Sometimes by the fifth time I give in.  But sometimes I just say, "Y.E.S.--I am keeping that."  Thank goodness that's generally the end of the discussion.

Happy wife...happy life.  I keep reminding him.

We had our trailer weighed when we were at the rally in New Mexico in March, and we can only load on about 1200 pounds of "stuff".  That will leave us about a 600-pound cushion to load on water for boondocking (camping without hook-ups).  At first that sounded like a lot of stuff to me--until I heard that most full-timers carry about 2500-3000 pounds.  Gulp.  Max looks at the pile we've made so far to move out to the trailer and feels we're still on the safe side.  We hope, we hope.  We'll definitely have to get it weighed again when we're fully loaded to see how well we did. 

OK, off to bed.  It's midnight.  I used to NEVER be up this late.  Max said, "Welcome to retirement."  I guess.  And tomorrow is another big day.  The washer and dryer go out the door.  Gonna miss that washer and dryer. Then next week we move out the Gypsy Turtle!

No comments:

Post a Comment